Thirty Northwestern faculty members are on the 2016 annual list of highly cited researchers compiled by Clarivate Analytics (formerly a part of Thomson Reuters). Highly cited papers are those that rank in the top one percent by citations for field and publication year.
“These researchers have achieved something truly impressive,” said Karen Gutzman, impact and evaluation librarian at the Galter Health Sciences Library. “The rankings show the high level of engagement and attention their work has received in the academic community, and it is beyond expectation. Their presence on this list is a glimmer of the true depth of their research impact: they have advanced the scientific knowledge of their field, initiated changes in clinical practice and teaching, influenced policy decisions, and so much more.”
The list is derived from highly cited papers in journals indexed in the Web of Science during an 11-year period, and in the latest listing from 2004 to 2014. Northwestern University ranked 11th among institutions worldwide (and 8th in the United States), according to the analysis.
The Feinberg faculty members included on the 2016 list are:
- Eileen Bigio, MD, Paul E. Steiner Research Professor of Pathology
- Robert Bonow, MD, Max and Lilly Goldberg Distinguished Professor of Cardiology
- David Cella, PhD, chair of Medical Social Sciences and director of the Center for Patient-Centered Outcomes
- Mihai Gheorghiade, MD, professor of Medicine in the Division of Cardiology and of Surgery in the Division of Organ Transplantation
- Stephen Hanauer, MD, Clifford Joseph Barborka Professor of Medicine in the Division of Gastroenterology and Hepatology
- Donald Lloyd-Jones, MD, chair of Preventive Medicine and senior associate dean for Clinical and Translational Research
- John A. Rogers, PhD, professor of Neurological Surgery and at the McCormick School of Engineering
- Clyde Yancy, MD, Magerstadt Professor and chief of Cardiology
Faculty at Northwestern Weinberg College of Arts and Sciences with joint appointments at Feinberg are also on the list including: Chad Mirkin, PhD, professor of Medicine, Gregory Miller, PhD, professor of Medical Social Sciences, and Karl Scheidt, PhD, professor of Pharmacology.